31 Mar North Carolina governor issues stay-at-home order
The still-growing specter of Coronavirus has motivated North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper to issue a statewide stay-at-home order. The order became effective March 30 at 5 p.m. This basically means that state residents should stay inside their homes as much as possible with the exception of travel for essential activities, such as grocery shopping, and essential business needs.
As the situation stands now, the stay-at-home order remains effective through April 29. However, it is subject to revision or extension.
Here are some details and updates for the way this new order will affect the Onslow County area.
- The City of Jacksonville was keeping playgrounds open with the expectation that parents would wipe down the equipment before and after use. However, the new stay-at-home order requires the closing of all playgrounds. Parks and trails remain open, but those using these facilities should remember to continue practicing social distancing.
- The stay-at-home order encourages people to practice healthy lifestyle habits. This includes outdoor exercise such as jogging or walking pets. Once again, people should make sure to maintain the recommended social distancing of six feet.
- The city is offering its Dayz Out program to care for children of essential personnel who are 6-11 years of age. There will be two three-week sessions, and qualifying parents who want to enroll their children must submit an application to be considered.
- Jacksonville’s passport services have been suspended for the time being.
Businesses permitted to remain open
- Doctors and other healthcare providers
- Veterinarians and pet supply stores
- Grocery stores
- Gas stations and convenience stores
- Restaurants providing take-out, drive-thru or delivery
- ABC stores; beer and wine stores
- Hardware stores
- Office supply stores
- Places of worship – Religious functions are permitted if gatherings are limited to no more than 10 people. The order advises participants to practice social distancing during such gatherings. There are many places of worship that are live streaming their services.
- Hotels, airlines, taxis, buses and ridesharing services
There are many other details to this order. To learn more, click on this link.
CHRISTI HILL TEAM
P: (910) 934-1174
M: (910) 803-4605
F: (866) 289-6147