Onslow County could see snow this week - Christi Hill Team
 

Onslow County could see snow this week

Possible snow in Onslow County

Onslow County could see snow this week

When  comparing Onslow County’s snowfall with the national average, it is relatively sparse. However, that snow could be coming in a couple of days, according to a story in JDNews.com.  (Click here for a photo of a snow-covered Jacksonville.) The National Weather Service is forecasting a 30% chance of precipitation, including snow, for Thursday night, February 20.

According to the Best Places website, the average annual snowfall for the Jacksonville NC area is two inches. The national average snowfall is 28 inches per year.

Tom Lonka, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service, told JDNews.com that snowfall tends to be rare in eastern North Carolina, and the likelihood is still small. Lonka explained that the rain/snow line is difficult to accurately predict because the weather is very unpredictable.

“The chances for a rain/snow mix are still real small and is not a big deal right now,” Lonka said.

He added, “Accumulating snow will have a better chance north of Jacksonville and Craven County, with even better chances near the Virginia border.”

He is not able to give a definitive forecast regarding the areas of Onslow, Craven and Lenoir Counties that may experience precipitation. The 7-day forecast, as published on the NWS website, predicts a 60% chance of precipitation in the Jacksonville area. Temperatures are estimated to be highest at 48 degrees and lowest at 28 degrees. The NWS is expecting rainfall in the Jacksonville area before Friday at 1 a.m. After that, the prediction is for a 40% chance of rain and snow showers.

Lonka said that weather for Onslow County could change in the next couple of days, but he believes, at this point, that the prediction is accurate.

Surprise snowfall last year

Onslow County was surprised by an unusually generous snowfall of three inches on March 5 last year. Other nearby communities, including New Bern, Swansboro, Newport and Jones County reported traces of snow on the same day.

Find More Valuable Information and Read Our Blog!

CHRISTI HILL TEAM
P: (910) 934-1174
M: (910) 803-4605
F: (866) 289-6147
E: Christihillnc@gmail.com

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.